Monday 12 January 2009

Spicy Tofu Stir Fry


I bought a bunch of coriander the other day, which is probably my favourite herb. I have been known to sit there and eat it straight off the plant.

The first meal I made with it was beef chilli, with coriander topping. I found some mince in the freezer and used tinned tomatoes and kidney beans that were in the cupboards, so it was a good meal for a bare fridge and not much money.

Next up was a tofu stir fry. Tofu is so cheap compared to meat, but I have spent a lot of time trying to make myself like it. I don't mind that it doesn't taste of much, because that means you can flavour it with whatever you like, but I really don't like the squidgy texture.

To avoid the texture, I cut the tofu into tiny pieces (cubes about 5mm across) and marinated it for a few hours.

Chillis, ginger, spring onions, shallots and garlic

I mixed up 2 green chillis, a big wedge of ginger, 4 spring onions, a shallot and 3 cloves of garlics with the tofu, and added a few splashes of toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice and nam pla.

When it came time to cook the stir fry, I heated up a wok until it was smoking hot, then added some sunflower oil, and then put in the tofu and marinade. I find getting the oil really hot helps get the tofu a bit crispy around the edges.

Once the tofu was starting to crisp up, I added in chopped red peppers, shiitake mushrooms, and pak choi. To contrast against the tofu, I wanted these to be quite firm, and only wanted them warmed up as opposed to cooked.

Now everything was hot, I added a teaspoon of water and another splash of soy sauce to get some steam going, and also to create a sauce. Finally, I added the rest of the lime juice, and served it up, with the coriander sprinkled over the top. Yummy!

0 comments: