Wednesday 14 January 2009

Raspberry and Cinnamon Wholewheat Muffins

I am trying to be a bit health conscious at the moment, as well as not spend too much money on baking supplies! Last night I was pondering what to have for breakfast this morning, as I don't really eat many dairy products, and I have given up bread for the moment too, as the stuff I can afford tastes rubbish. Therefore, the breakfast staples of toast and cereal are pretty much out, and I didn't have any yoghurt left either. I was on the verge of baking a loaf of bread myself, when I found a recipe on Serious Eats for Raspberry-Filled Cinnamon Muffins.

I had all the ingredients in my baking drawer, apart from low-fat spread and buttermilk. I've noticed buttermilk pops up quite a lot in American baking, and it is not easy to get hold of in the UK. You can only really get it at well-stocked delis or huge supermarkets. As it was 10.30pm, I didn't fancy a late night shopping trip to the 24 hour Asda out of town, so I improvised.

Instead of low-fat spread, or unsalted butter, I used 30g of salted butter, and 25g of Anchor spreadable. To replace the buttermilk, I put 1/2 cup of milk in with 1/4 cup sour cream, and a couple of drops of vinegar. It wasn't a perfect replica, but the batter seemed the right consistency and had a bit of a tang to it. I also used wholemeal self-raising flour, instead of plain, so I omitted the baking powder. I also left out the salt as I'd used salted butter.

I made the muffins in my silicone pan, so I didn't need to line the cups, although on the first batch I forgot to grease the bottoms of the cups, so the muffins broke up a little at the bottom. My flatmates were pretty happy when I surprised them with the slightly misshapen first batch! They might not have looked pretty, but straight out the oven they were delicious, and moist without being greasy or sickly. Although I don't think wholemeal raspberry muffins go that well with beer...

The second batch were more successful, and I ate them for breakfast this morning. Although they weren't as tasty when cold, the texture was still good, and they didn't have that syrupy, greasy mouth-feel that you get with commercial muffins.

I am definitely bookmarking this recipe for an easy breakfast/snack bake, that's not too bad for you either.

Raspberry and cinnamon muffins

0 comments: